C. R. GAZETTE DUMPED MAYORAL CANDIDATE VERNON FOR GOOD REASONS!
Greetings, Cedar Rapids Gazette Editorial Board and alló
As noted on website http://www.iowalive.net/gulickformayor.htm , you wisely failed to endorse Monica Vernon for Cedar Rapids mayor. But you have been silent since voters selected Vernon and Hart for a runoff. So once again, Iowalive net workers step up to fill the glaring Gazette void.
Vernon deviously touts her City Hall experience without recognizing it has been bad for Cedar Rapids residents and only good for downtowners and Chamber of Commerce selfish interests. West side flood protection flounders as the hotel purchase she loudly touted and approved continues to suffer operating losses, taxpayers have to pay.
Here is the hotelís trail of taxpayersí tears, no thanks to Vernon.
1. Monica Vernon loudly touted and approved of buying the money losing hotel
2. Cedar Rapids taxpayers continue to cover the city owned hotelís operating losses, Iowalive now estimates total at least $5 million
3. The City owned and subsidized hotel unfairly competes with privately owned, taxpaying hotels to the extent Iowalive estimates they are losing a total of at least $1.5 million in profits per year.
4. Vernon falsely claimed a hotel buyer would be found. That has not happened and likely wonít for at least 3 more years, as total losses grow.
5. The percent probability the hotel will turn a profit or be reasonably sold, have fallen to about 2%.
6. Moody's cut Cedar Rapids bond rating and expressed concern over the hotel and convention center as the reason.
7. Vernon wants to be mayor to cover her tracks.
While the above words and numbers aptly describe some of Vernonís reckless spending, the following does it even better.
MONICA VERNON DOING WHAT SHE DOES BEST
Anyone claiming to have better numbers than those herein is asked to provide them.
Iowalive A growing network of volunteer citizens and professionals for improving Iowa